Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

A few weeks ago, I promised I'd share exciting news and then callously left you all hanging.  Such a tease.  But, I'm happy to share now that my the changes in my life have been made official.  So, without further ado, the changes are as follows...

1.  I've changed my major!  As much as I love studying Latin and as certain as I was that I wanted to pursue a related career, when I got back to campus after winter break I started realizing that that wasn't where my greatest passion was.  I was struggling to finish my Off Campus Studies application to study Latin in the United Kingdom and knew as I was writing it that it was weak and my heart wasn't in it.  So, two days before the OCS deadline, I scrapped my application, wrote a new application to a different program and drafted a proposal for a synoptic (self-created) major.  Now, after months spent rewriting proposals, creating my own curriculum, and going to meeting after meeting with my advisers and the associate provost, I've been granted a synoptic major in Performing Arts Administration and Rural Community Development.  My goal is to study how the arts affect rural communities and how such communities can benefit from strong arts initiatives as well as to prepare for a career in arts administration.  After spending the past two years working in the Front of House and Box Office departments for Kenyon and Interlochen, and having spent most of my life involved in music and theatre, it's become clear to me that I want to continue in a line of work that allows me to use my creative and administrative skill sets to promote the arts.  If you're interested in reading the proposal email me at myersblogs@gmail.com.

2.  I'm not (technically) going abroad any more!  Considering I started this blog because I was excited to go abroad, you're probably wondering about that exclamation point.  I'm happy to not be going abroad anymore because it means, if my next application is approved, that I'll get to go to New York City.  After scrapping my UK applications, I submitted an application to Kenyon for the New York Arts Program.  Although the Off Campus Studies office initially held their decision for two months because they wanted my synoptic major to be approved, now that my major is official they've decided to accept my application.  So, one hurdle down, one to go.  Now that my application been approved by Kenyon, I can start working on the actual application for the New York Arts Program.  If the NYAP accepts me as well, I'll have a wonderful opportunity to live and work in New York City for a semester.  The program is internship based so rather than taking classes through a university, I'll be holding a 30 hour a week internship in an area relevant to my major and meeting once a week for a seminar for the first half of the semester and then meeting with an advisor for tutorials and independent study to develop a paper or project in the second half.  Housing is provided by the program and, being located in Chelsea, is terrifically close to galleries and the theatre district.  If everything works out, it'll be an incredible experience and a great opportunity for me to do some hands on learning.

3.  I got a promotion!  I spent last summer working on the Interlochen Center for the Arts Box Office and Front of House Staffs and in January I got a call from my boss offering me the position of Front of House Supervisor.  Of course, I accepted.  I loved working at Interlochen last summer and I'm so unbelievably excited to go back for a second year!  Interlochen is one of the most incredible places I've been, the area is gorgeous, the talent of the student campers is astounding, and on top of it all, we're lucky enough to be able to bring in major performers for our Summer Arts Festival.  I've got a bit of a personal soft spot for it too because it was after having spent the summer working there that I really started realizing how much I wanted a career in the arts.

Art lives here!  Right close to my heart.

4. I'm going to be a Community Advisor in the fall semester!  After changing my major and redirecting my Off Campus Studies, applying to be a Community Advisor was my third impulsive but actually really excellent decision of the past four months.  The job description considers my primary roles to be "educator, information source, policy-enforcer, campus resource and referral agent, community-builder, programmer, and leader."  There are definitely mundane parts of the job and difficult, stressful parts as well, but developing and strengthening all the skills involved in this job and working through the difficult parts is such an incredible opportunity for personal growth, it's just too good to pass up!  Also, the single occupancy room, that's a big plus as well.

5. I'm starting a second blog!  Why?  Since I've been less than stellar about keeping this one up to date?  Firstly, I'm going to do a much better job keeping this one going now that everything is settled.  Secondly, because I've gotten obnoxiously* into photography and want to share my photos.  So, if you're interested, you can check it out at ifyougiveamouseacamera.blogspot.com.  And yes, it's yet another shutterbug photo blog, but take a look and I think you'll see there's a twist.

*It's obnoxious for everyone else who has to put up with my begging to use them for photos and stopping every five steps to take a photo...see image below for what I must look like to everyone when I start snapping away.

A little like a goofy chipmunk, no?

So, what does all this mean for Latitudinally Speaking?  Not a whole lot is going to change, you'll find that posts relate more to what it's like being a department of one, maybe a little series about working at Interlochen when summer comes, a few random musings sprinkled around, and of course, when the time comes, my preparation for and experiences in New York City.  Other than that, things will stay pretty much the same, even though I've made several big changes, the theme of giving myself latitude to grow and broaden my experiences definitely still applies.  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds to me like the drifting ship has finally found her route! You seem to have done a great deal of thinking and are feeling pretty good intuitively about your decisions. Good for you! Doesn't it feel better to be less adrift?

    ReplyDelete